My goal is for us to finish our videos in class today and upload them to YouTube. (You need a Google name and password, which I’m pretty sure you all have at this point.) If you are using iMovie ’09, then the conversion for YouTube is handled automatically. But if you are using iMovie 6, you’ll have to do it by hand.
Here are the steps you’ll need to take to create a movie suitable for uploading to YouTube. These aren’t the only settings that will work, but they’ve worked well for me.
- Save your movie. Now select the menu item labeled “Share,” and then select “Share” again in the drop-down menu.
- In the dialogue box that says “Compress movie for,” choose “Expert Settings.” Click on the button that says “Share.”
- In the dialogue box that says “Export,” select “Movie to QuickTime.” Next to “Use,” select “Broadband Medium.” Click on “Options.”
- You will be presented with a dialogue box called “Movie Settings” that looks like the one embedded with this post. Using the four buttons, match the settings as you see them here for video settings and size (I don’t think you’ll need to select “Filter”) and for audio settings. When everything matches, click “OK.”
- You will be returned to the previous box. Save your movie. It will take a while. The final product will be suitable for uploading to YouTube.